About Me

My photo
My name is Justin Nassivera and I am currently in my Junior year at SUNY Cortland studying Physical Education. I'm a huge sports fan and love my Boston Celtics and Red Sox. Basketball, Baseball, and Golf are huge passions of mine and would love to coach them someday in the school setting. I have always loved teaching and coaching kids and have always wanted to become a PE teacher because it was always my favorite class in school. Many people have strong opinions against physical education and I believe that myself and other physical educators need to spread the word of what exactly we are doing in the PE world. Also check out my professional portfolio at www.jnassiveraportfolio.weebly.com

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Lab A-1 and A-2 Comparison

On Friday, I taught for the second time of the semester. I wasn't as nervous as I was on day one when we had to teach. Below I have my videos from both the first day, and from Friday. I also have added my comments to each and what I think I need to improve on, and what I think I did well.


LAB A-1




In Lab A-1, I thought that I had a couple positives. I started by stating four cues for dribbling and demonstrating every one of the cues adequately so the students understood exactly what I meant when I explained it. When they were participating in dribbling I held my fingers up to get them to tell me how many I was holding up so they could focus on keeping their eyes up while they are dribbling. Some of the things that I could have improved on was my volume because it was tough to hear on the video. Time management was tough too because I ran out of time in the end and couldn't close the lesson or check for understanding. I also did not use a hook to capture them at the beginning of the lesson and when i gave feedback it was very simple such as "good job" and I didn't use their names either.


LAB A-2


In Lab A-2, I felt much more comfortable because I had more time to plan out what I was going to say and how I was going to do it. My appearance was definitely better because I was dressed professionally. I used the Harlem Globetrotters as my hook to try and interest them in doing some fancy dribbling skills. I think that revisiting the cues from the first time was definitely a good way to check to see if they learned anything from the last class I taught. The volume of my voice I think was definitely better because it was easier for me to hear myself over both the other lesson going on and music in the background. What I think i need to improve on is giving feedback. Most of my feedback was just "good job" just like the first time. I believe that if I can improve on my feedback then I can be more relevant as a teacher to my students who will be looking to me for guidance when they need help or if they don't know if they are doing the activity right or wrong. 


I have included a typed transcript of what I said word for word in the LAB A-2 video here.


I think that I definitely can improve on my first two teaching assignments. I think that as I improve, I can make myself much better at giving feedback and  learn how to help students improve on all aspects of the activities that I will be teaching.  

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment